- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 500g good quality sausage meat
- 200g Christmas cake, no icing or marzipan, crumbled
- about 6 tbsp natural dried breadcrumbs
- 1 whole medium egg
- 150g dried cranberries
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions, allspice and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the sausage meat and stir well.
- Just break down the sausage meat but do not actually cook it through.
- Then cool slightly, add enough bread crumbs to stiffen up the mixture, but remember that they will continue to thicken as they reconstitute themselves so take care not to add too many.
- Stir in the whole egg and cranberries and beat the whole mixture well.
- Finally add the Christmas pudding and some salt and pepper.
- Stuff the bird when required.