5.0/5 rating (2 votes)
- 200g/7oz white sliced bread, crusts removed
- 4 large flat mushrooms, stalks removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 55g/2oz unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 eggs, as fresh as possible
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Place bread in a food processor and blitz to make breadcrumbs.
- Remove any dirt from the mushrooms and wipe with a piece of kitchen paper, but do not wash.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Add mushrooms, stalk side down, season and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn over and cook the other side for a further 3-4 minutes, or until tender, but not overcooked.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan until it just begins to foam; add the breadcrumbs and garlic and stir. Reduce the heat and cook until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Season, stir in the parsley and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in another frying pan. Crack in the eggs and fry to taste. Season.
- To finish the dish, place the mushrooms on a baking sheet, stalk side up, top with the eggs and sprinkle over the hot breadcrumbs. Place under the grill and cook quickly until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.