Try this and you're sure of having juicy, tender chicken at its very best. The secret being that the meat is part-braised in white wine. Crispy roasties are the perfect accompaniment.
- 1 fresh British chicken 1.6kg (approx)
- 1 fresh lemon, quartered
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 glass of Italian White Wine
- Salt and coarse ground black pepper
- Quixo Chicken Granules
- 1 tbsp (approx)
- 1 kg peeled Maris Piper potatoes
- 200g lard
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7.
- Place the quartered lemon into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into a deep saucepan and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Pop the chicken into the oven and cook for approximately 15 minutes until it starts to brown slightly.
- Once ready, remove pan from the oven and turn down to 200°C, gas mark 6.
- Place the chopped onion around the chicken, add wine, salt and pepper.
- Cover and return to the oven for a further 50 minutes or until cooked and juicy.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken and cover with foil or cling film.
- Place the saucepan back onto the stove and bring to a simmer.
- Thicken with a few Quixo chicken granules.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the roast potatoes and gravy.
For the Roasties!
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
- Place the lard onto a baking tray, pop into the hot oven for 10 minutes, or until just smoking.
- Place a pan of cold water on the stove, bring to the boil and then add a little salt.
- Pop in the potatoes, after cutting into large quarters.