- 100mls vegetable oil
- 2 fresh sweetcorn husks if possible removed from the husk or 1 x 400g can sweetcorn, drained
- 1 small cauliflower, in small florets
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 small potatoes, about 400g, peeled cut into 2cm pieces
- 600ml boiling water, roughly
- 1 x 10g vegetable stock cube
- 150ml milk
- 55g plain flour
- 50g salted butter, very soft
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan, add the sweetcorn and brown nicely, then onions and cauliflower and cook gently for about 5 minutes, so it all takes a little colour.
Add the potatoes and season well with salt and pepper.
Add the water, stock cube and milk.
Bring back to a gentle simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
Mix the soft flour and butter together well.
Carefully stir into the simmering chowder and cook for 5 minutes until thickened.