In honour of armed forces day we will cook a favourite of the armed forces, chicken curry.
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 skin on boneless chicken thighs, cut in to 4
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 sticks celery, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3-4 tbsp mild Madras curry powder
- 2-3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 x 10g chicken stock cubes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2-3 tbsp mango chutney
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- boiled rice and poppadums', to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the chicken and cook quickly until browned, then add the vegetables and garlic.
- Add the curry powder and stir to coat, then add the flour, stock cube and tomato puree and mix well.
- Gradually stir in about 900ml, then season and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and GENTLY simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or it will catch.
- After this time add the coconut and mango chutney, to taste, and cook for a further 15 -20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Season again if necessary and serve with boiled rice, chopped banana, more coconut, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions and poppadums.