These are fabulous little morsels; just make sure the oil is hot enough and the inside will be fluffy and light. The recipe makes about 30, to allow 4 servings of six little bites. Double up if you need to make more.
- 250g ricotta
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 yolk
- 45g brown rice flour blend (see recipe)
- 1 teaspoon castor sugar
- 1 level teaspoon Gluten-Free baking powder
- 1/8 level teaspoon xanthan gum
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Place the ricotta in a colander and leave to drain until dry, about 30 minutes or best overnight.
- Pour the egg into a bowl, add the our, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum and lemon zest, and then mix really well. Add the cheese and mix well again.
- Heat the oil to a temperature of 180 ̊C.
- Either roll the mixture into small balls, or, using a piping bag (with no nozzle), pipe small balls and drop into the hot oil. Cook in small batches until nice and golden, swirling with a spoon so you get an even colour, about 3 minutes.
- Drain well on kitchen paper and sprinkle icing sugar and cinnamon, if you like.
- Serve hot and fresh straight away.