A great winter vegetable, perfect with roast turkey. A simple dish can be made the day before and gently warmed, covered in a moderate oven or microwave.
- 1.5kg celeriac (1.2kg peeled)
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Cut the peeled celeriac in quarters, and then slice into thin slices about half centimetre thick.
- Place into a large saucepan cover with water and a couple of teaspoons of salt.
- Cover and bring to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes, this helps to soften the vegetable, and gives a much nicer end result.
- Drain well.
- Carefully cover the bottom of a 20cm x 30cm x 5cm deep baking dish with pieces of celeriac, overlapping quite generously. Season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the crushed garlic.
- Continue layering until all the celeriac is used up.
- Bring the cream to the boil and then pour over the celeriac carefully. Pop into the pre heated oven and cook for about 40 minutes until well coloured and reduced.
- Remove from the oven and keep warm, or cool quickly wrap in cling film and re heat the next day.