Great winter vegetable, perfect with lamb. A simple dish can be made the day before and gently warmed, covered in a moderate oven or microwave.
- 350g celeriac (500g unpeeled)
- 350g potatoes
- 600ml whipping cream
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 190°, gas 5.
- Cut the peeled celeriac in quarters, and then slice into thin slices about half centimetre thick.
- Slice the potatoes in the same fashion, then rinse well in cold water.
- Place both vegetables into a large saucepan cover with water and a couple of teaspoons of salt.
- Cover and bring to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes, this helps to soften the vegetable, and gives a much nicer end result. Drain well.
- Carefully cover the bottom of a 24cm x 24cm x 5cm deep baking dish with pieces of celeriac, overlapping quite generously. Do the same with the potatoes.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Continue layering until all the celeriac and potato are used up.
- Bring the cream and the garlic to the boil and then pour over the celeriac and potato carefully.
- Press down with a potato masher.
- Cover with foil and place the dish on a tray and pop into the pre heated oven and cook for about 30 minutes then remove the foil then continue to cook until well coloured and reduced, probably a further 20 minutes or so.
- You may want to press down with the masher over the period of cooking.
- When cooked a skewer or knife with easily penetrate the creamy cake with very little resistance.