- 300g asparagus spears
- For the hollandaise sauce:
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 ml white wine
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 50ml water
- 1 tsp crushed white peppercorns
- 2 small shallots , optional
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 150g unsalted butter, melted
- Half a lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- To make the hollandaise sauce, place the wine, vinegar, water, peppercorns, shallots and celery in a pan and simmer rapidly until reduced to half the original volume.
- Put the egg yolks in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water, gently pour on the reduction, whisking all the time, until it thickens.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the melted butter. Add a dash of lemon juice, check the seasoning and stir in chopped basil.
- Using a peeler, remove the skin from the bottom of the asparagus spears.
- Cook the asparagus on a hot griddle pan, drizzled with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a plate and pour the basil hollandaise over the top.