This idea came from my mum, who has cooked a wickedly moist lemon cake for years. The secret to its success lies in soaking the cake all the way through with the sticky syrup. Finish it off with a stylish icing.
- The Cake
- 225g (8oz) butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
- 55g (2oz) ground almonds
- finely grated zest and juice of a lemon
- 225g (8oz) self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tbsp poppy seeds
- juice of 3 large lemons
- 100g (3½ oz) icing sugar
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 100g (3½oz) icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat together using an electric hand whisk until just smooth and pale.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 55 inch“65 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- Make the syrup by warming together the lemon juice and icing sugar.
- Whilst the cake is still warm, make holes all over it with a skewer, then gradually spoon over the syrup, allowing it to sink into the cake. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Make the icing: add the lemon juice gradually to the icing sugar until you have a thick pouring consistency.
- When the cake is cool, transfer to a serving plate and drizzle over the lemon icing.