- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh thyme or 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 500g good quality sausage meat
- 175g whole chestnuts peeled, the vacuum packed variety are very good
- about 6 tbsp natural dried breadcrumbs
- 1 whole medium egg
- 1 satsuma chopped finely, including half the skin
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the thyme and sausage meat and stir well. Just break down the sausage meat but do not actually cook it through.
- Then cool slightly, add enough bread crumbs to stiffen up the mixture, but remember that they will continue to thicken as they reconstitute themselves so take care not to add too many.
- Stir in the whole egg, Satsuma pulp and beat the whole mixture well.
- Finally add the chestnuts and some salt and pepper.
- Stuff the bird when required.