Serves: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready in: 1 hour
- Cooking time: 35-40 mins
- 4 pain au chocolats or chocolate croissants
- 100g (4oz) dark chocolate
- 300ml (½pt) milk
- 568ml carton double cream
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 large egg yolks
- 170g tube condensed Milk
- icing sugar, to dust
- Grease a 2.4 ltr (4¼pt) ovenproof pudding dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350º F, Gas Mark 4.
- Cut each croissant into 3 pieces and arrange in the dish.
- Place the chocolate in a saucepan with the milk, cream and nutmeg and heat gently until the chocolate has melted.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks and the condensed milk, and then gradually beat in the hot chocolate cream.
- Pour the mixture over the croissants, and then press them down into the mixture and leave to stand for 1 hour.
- Place the dish in a deep roasting tin and fill the tin with boiling water two-thirds up the side of the dish.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until just set & a bit wobbly.
- Dust liberally with icing sugar.