Prep Time: 20 mins
Ready in: 40 mins
- 1 x 500g ready-made dessert pastry (rolled out into 2 discs to fit tin)
- 5 large Bramley apples (1kg), peeled and roughly chopped, not too small
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- Pinch or two of black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp allspice
- 250g thinly sliced Lancashire cheese
- 2 tsp fresh chopped sage
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- You will need a 24cm pie tin
- Pre heat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5.
- Heat a saucepan then add the butter and melt.
- Add the chopped apples, sugar, black pepper and spices, and then cook until the slices begin to soften.
- Line a loose bottomed baking dish with one of the discs of pastry.
- Lay the cheese and fresh sage in the base of the dish.
- Fill with the thick apple stew and then lightly egg the lip of the pastry dish.
- Top with the other disc of pastry. Trim the edges and crimp them to seal and make a steam hole in centre. Egg well.
- Place in the pre heated oven and cook for 35-40 minutes or until well golden.
- Cool slightly before serving.