This is a real classic and reminds me of my childhood.
- 125g milk chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 100mls whipping cream
- 1 tbsp glucose syrup
- 12 trifle sponges
- 2 packets (1/2 pint) Instant Bird’s custard
- 350g chopped white chocolate
- 200g frozen raspberries
- 1 large can mandarins, drained really well
- 750mls double cream lightly whipped with a little icing sugar and vanilla extract
- 150g grated milk chocolate to sprinkle on top
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of gently simmering water, it is really important to ensure that no water or steam gets into the chocolate or the chocolate will thicken rapidly and will spoil.
- Bring the cream and the glucose together to the boil, leave to cool slightly, then whisk onto the melted chocolate.
- Then leave to cool at room temperature.
- Slice the trifle sponges in half and spread well with the milk chocolate spread, then stick back together. Then chill well.
- Make up the custard to makers instructions, then add the white chocolate and mix well until melted.
- Cut the sponges into small cubes and place half in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Add half the mandarins and raspberries and cover with half the custard mix.
- Add the rest of the sponge, fruit and top with the rest of the custard.
- Chill really well, best really overnight.
- When ready to serve whip the double cream, icing sugar and vanilla together, do not over whip.
- Pile into the set trifle.
- Sprinkle with plenty of grated chocolate and decorate with piped cream, more mandarins and raspberries.
- Dust well in icing sugar.