- 50g unsalted butter
- 5 large Bramley apples, peeled and roughly chopped, not too small
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- Juice and finely grated zest 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp cornflour or arrowroot
- 2 x 24cm discs dessert pastry (ready rolled)
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- Pre heat the oven to 190°C.
- Heat a saucepan, add the butter and melt.
- Add the chopped apples, sugar, lemon zest and juice and cook for a couple of minutes until the y start to breakdown, then tip into a bowl and cool, taste and add more sugar if needed.
- Add the cornflour or arrowroot once cooled and mix well.
- Line a 24cm loose bottomed baking tin with one of the discs, carefully.
- Add the apple: really fill up the base and then lightly egg the top edge.
- Top with the other disc of pastry, thumb up and crimp decoratively.
- Brush the top with egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar, then place into the pre heated oven.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes or until well golden.
- Cool slightly and turn out before cutting.