- Serves: 4-6
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Ready in: 2 hours, approx.
- Chilling time: Resting 30-45 mins
- Difficulty: Very Easy
- 1 x 1kg chicken, giblets removed
- 1 x small bunch fresh sage
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 x 10g chicken stock cube (Oxo)
- 1 large glass cold water
- Heat the oven to 220° C gas 7.
- Place the chicken onto a board, season well inside and out, then insert the bunch of sage.
- Pop into the bottom of the deep saucepan then add then the stock cube sprinkled around and then the water and giblets if you have them.
- Place the pan, uncovered into the oven and cook the chicken for 15 minutes to brown nicely, then add the lid and turn the heat down to 190°C gas 5.
- Cook for 1 hour, approx.
- When the chicken is cooked, carefully tip off the juices that will be in the bottom of the tin, into a saucepan, add a little boiling water, re boil and thicken with a few gravy granules or a little cornflour and water keep warm.
- Cover the chicken and leave to rest for 30-45 minutes.