- 75ml white wine vinegar
- 100ml white wine
- 1 heaped tsp crushed white peppercorns
- 200g unsalted butter, melted
- 6 egg yolks at room temperature
- squeeze of lemon
- Place the vinegar, wine and peppercorns into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Boil rapidly until the liquid has reduced by half to ¾’s then strain out the peppercorns.
- Place the egg yolks into a metal bowl and break up with a whisk.
- Place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, add the boiling reduction whisking all the time.
- Whisk over the heat, until the mixture thickens, take care not to have scrambled egg (you may have to take the bowl off the a couple of times if the heat gets too intense)
- Once thick, you will see steam coming from the cooked eggs; gradually add the hot butter a little at a time.
- The sauce with thicken nicely; you may have to add a little hot water to thin slightly.
- Season with a little lemon juice and salt.
- Keep warm and covered.