Prep Time: 40 mins
Ready in: 15 mins
- 650g strong flour
- pinch salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 10g (1½ packets) of 7g sachet dried yeast
- 60g sultanas
- 85g melted salted butter
- 300ml warm full cream milk approx.
- 80g plain flour
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- For the glaze:
- 150g caster sugar
- 75ml sugar
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Place the flour, salt, sugar, spices and yeast into a bowl.
- Mix well then add the fruit and peel.
- Mix well again, then add the melted butter and ¾ of the milk and mix to a soft dough, add more milk if needed the dough must not be too dry (tight)
- Knead well for 2-3 minutes, then place in a warmed bowl cover with film and leave to prove until roughly double in size.
- Gently turn the dough out and just bring together, do not knead vigorously.
- Cut 18-20 pieces and gently roll into a bun shape.
- Place on a baking tray equally and cover lightly with film and leave in a warm place. You want them to double in size.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Once proved, mix 80g plain flour with a little water to form a pipeable paste.
- Using a piping bag, go right across the buns in one direction, then the other way to form a cross.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes until well risen and lightly browned.
- Boil the sugar, water and spice until thick and syrupy.
- Once the buns are cooked, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack with parchment underneath.
- Paint the hot glaze over the hot buns and leave to cool and set