A very special dish for some very special guests.
This Morning was lucky enough to have been visited by Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall to celebrate our 30th anniversary.
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 8 thick mutton neck chops
- 3-4 tbsp flour
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato puree
- 2 small onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small leek, finely chopped and washed really well
- ½ small swede, peeled and roughly chopped
- 50g barley
- 600mls boiling water
- 2 lamb stock cubes
- 100g black pudding, crumbled
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced in ½ cm pieces
- 3-4 tbsp melted butter, roughly
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180° Gas 4.
- Heat the oil, in a 25cm x 12cm deep saucepan then add the lamb brown really well, this will take a few minutes, then remove.
- Add the flour and tomato puree to soak up any excess fat from the meat.
- Next add the vegetables and barley stir well, then add the boiling water and sprinkle in the stock cube.
- Add a little pepper and bring back to the simmer.
- Top the vegetables, with the lamb, sprinkle over the black pudding, then top with the sliced potatoes, overlapping slightly, and press down.
- Dust well with salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on and place into the pre heated oven and cook for 1 hour.
- At the 1 hour mark, remove the lid carefully, the potatoes will be cooked.
- Leave to cook uncovered for a further 45 minutes.
- The potatoes will brown nicely.