Prep Time: 30 mins
Ready in: 20-25 mins
- 5 tbsp biryani paste, or see spices below
- 100g thick yogurt
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skinned
- 4 tbsp any oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 level tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 250g basmati rice, washed well and soaked for 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 75g raisins soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 800mls water, approx.
- 1 x 10g chicken stock cube, dissolved in the water
- 30g salted cold small butter cubes
- toasted flaked almonds, optional
- crispy fried onions
- crispy fried ginger strips
- Mix the paste together with the yogurt well then add the chicken.
- In an ovenproof pan (not too large, but deep the meat and veg need to be layered tightly) heat the oil.
- Add the cumin seeds and ginger and cook quickly, then add the onions and get some good colour.
- Add the chicken thighs and cook on both sides to get a little colour.
- Add the tomatoes and cook further 2 minutes.
- Add half the soaked rice, stir well, then sprinkle over the coriander, mint, and raisins.
- Add the rest of the rice and pack down nicely.
- Pour over the boiling stock; bring to the boil then turn down to the tiniest simmer, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes (resist the temptation to open)
- After 15 minutes, check to see if the rice is cooked and the liquid soaked up, dot with the butter and more coriander.
- If cooked replace the lid, and leave for 20 minutes to rest.
- Serve topped with crispy fried onions and ginger strips
- 1 tsp chilli
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 bay leaves
- 10 cardamoms
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mace
- 10 cloves