What better to finish of a perfect picnic than this summery delight?
- 2 red or pink roses, perfumed if possible
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- juice of 2 lemons
- 3-4 tbsp icing sugar
- few drops of vanilla extract
- 600ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 200g condensed milk
- 6-8 small meringues or meringue nests, crushed but not too small
- Pick the rose petals from the stalks. Roughly chop the petals and place in a small bowl with the rosewater, lemon juice and icing sugar and leave for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a hand blender and whizz the mixture to a loose puree, leaving small pieces of rose petal visible.
- In a large bowl fold together the condensed milk and whipping cream, and then gently fold in the raspberries.
- Place a layer of crushed meringue in the bottom of a large glass bowl or into 6 individual glasses.
- Spoon over a little raspberry cream mixture, followed by a little rose petal puree.
- Repeat the layers finishing with crushed meringues