- 14-16 baby squid, cleaned and dried in kitchen towel
- 200g self raising flour
- About 300ml (½ pint milk)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp granulated or castor sugar
- Make sure that the baby squid are clean and thoroughly dry - you may need to pat them dry using a piece of kitchen paper. Remove the head and tentacles from the squid.
- Dust with a little salt and pepper mix, a few squid at a time in the flour, dip into the milk then dust again in flour. Re dust if needed.
- Heat a the oil to 190°C, then fry the squid until golden and crisp - it's best to do this in small batches so the oil retains its temperature. Drain squid on kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle over the salt and sugar serve straight away with fresh lime squeezed over.