For the Creme Patisserie
- 500 ml full fat milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 60 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 g plain flour, sifted
For the Tart
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 g salted softened butter
- 250 g ground almonds
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 75 g flour, sifted
- 4 tbsp créme patisserie
- 1 cooked blind 24cm x 3cm deep pastry case, with the edge nice and proud.
- 5 tbsp apricot jam, to spread on the base
- 100 g flaked almonds, approx.
- 10 apricot halves, canned in syrup or fresh
- 4 tbsp fondant icing sugar
- Place the milk and vanilla into a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring all the time.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Pour on the milk and stir well, return to the pan and bring to a boil very slowly, stirring all the time in a figure of eight so no cream catches, until the mixture thickens.
- When boiling, remove from the heat and pour into a clean bowl, and cover
- Preheat the oven to 190 C Gas 5.
- Beat together the sugar and butter until creamy.
- Add the eggs slowly, then fold in the almonds and flour.
- When the almonds and flour are half incorporated, then fold in the warm créme pat.
- Spread the jam on the bottom of the cooked pastry case.
- Using a large plain nozzle, pipe the mixture in circles on top of the apricot jam.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds and slightly push in the apricot halves, rounded side up.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes, until risen and light brown in colour.
- The tart should be left slightly undercooked and squidgy.
- Once cooled to room temperature make up the icing nice and thin and brush over the flan and leave to set. You need to see the tart through the icing.
- Serve with clotted cream.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket