The lovely delicate flavours of Asparagus with to jolt of Gruyere cheese is a great combination.
- 500 g shortcrust pastry, (gluten-free)
- 1 egg white
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 30 fresh asparagus spears, say 500-600g
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 1 yolk
- 400 ml milk
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 100 g Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C gas 4.
- Roll out the pastry nice and thin, and line a 36cm x 12cm x 3cm deep rectangular loose-bottomed flan tin. Make sure you have a nice high lip above the edge of the tin.
- Dock with a fork, then chill well and line with baking parchment and baking beans.
- Cook the flan until the pastry is just set but with not too much colour.
- Take out of the oven and carefully remove the beans with a dessert spoon so that you don't damage the pastry.
- Brush with beaten egg white and return to the oven to set and seal the pastry well.
- Next, peel the bottom a few centimetres off the spears so they will fit into the cooked base nice and snugly. Make sure you have plenty to pack in.
- Once you have enough, chop the cut off pieces nice and small (same size as the onions) and add to the onions and cook with 3-4 tbsp of oil to soften.
- Once softened, spoon into the base of the flan tin.
- Add 4-5 tbsp olive oil in a separate pan and gently sauté the spears with salt and pepper to get a nice colour and cook through slightly.
- Once cooked pack the spears nice and neatly on to the onions side by side nice and tight.
- Whisk the eggs, yolks and milk together well and season with salt, pepper and ground coriander.
- Place the flan tin on a baking tray and place in the oven, then carefully pour in the custard until the flan is really full.
- Cook until just set, probably 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when just set, then leave to cool at room temperature.
- Cut across the flan with the asparagus, so you end up with a neat looking perfect quiche and finely grate over a little fresh Gruyere cheese just before serving. The cheese must not melt.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket