- 4 tbsp any oil
- 300 g chicken thighs, no skin or bone, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 2cm pieces roughly cooked with some nice colour
- 250 g brown cap mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 250 ml light beer, such as lager or water
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 tbsp mushroom paste, Barts’s or brown miso paste
- 2 tsp sugar
- ground pepper
- crackers or crispy tortillas
- Heat the oil and add the chicken thigh pieces, and brown nicely.
- Next, add the squash, mushrooms, onions and garlic and cook to get more colour and reduce the moisture from the mushrooms and squash.
- Season really well and cook for 15 minutes until they have a little colour.
- Add the beer (or water), sprinkle over the stock cube, mushroom paste or miso and a little sugar and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the squash starts to fall apart on the outside edges, probably 10 minutes or so. By this time the chicken will be cooked too and slightly reduced.
- Re-season well and serve warm with crackers or crispy tortillas.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket