- 0.5 small Savoy cabbage, inner leaves only, very finely sliced
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g streaky bacon, chopped
- 600 g peeled potatoes, medium sized and sliced on a mandolin or extremely thinly
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g Cheddar or Gubbeen cheese finely grated
- Heat the butter and oil together, add the finely chopped cabbage and cook down for about 15 minutes until softened. Drain well in a colander.
- Add the vegetable oil to a separate pan, heat and cook the bacon until the fat runs. Drain in a colander and keep the fat.
- Place the cabbage in a bowl and add the hot bacon; mix well.
- Slice the potatoes very thinly and toss in the reserved bacon fat, place a layer of potatoes overlapped in the bottom of an oiled non-stick frying pan, season with a little salt and pepper, spread on a little cabbage and bacon, top with some cheese. This helps to keep the whole cake together.
- Continue overlapping the potatoes, layering and seasoning.
- Place the pan on the stove and heat for a few seconds, so the potato starts to brown and bubble.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes.
- When cooked, remove the foil. You should be able to pierce the cake with a knife with no resistance.
- Cool, turn out onto a chopping board, cut into wedges and serve with a few salad leaves dressed with a little sherry vinegar dressing.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket