- 225 g self-raising flour
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 30 g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tbsp cold water
- ½ jar Little Scarlet strawberry jam
- beaten egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- granulated sugar
- 1 pint full fat milk
- 25 g custard powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp Golden Syrup to taste
- Pre heat the oven to 200 C gas 6
- Place the butter, salt and flour into a food processor and blitz until incorporated.
- Add the egg and a little water, and pulse together until you have a soft dough, not too soft.
- Carefully roll out to approximately 30cm and 15cm.
- Lightly egg the edge.
- Spread with the Little Scarlet strawberry jam, leaving a 2cm gap around the outside.
- Roll up carefully and not too tight. This will allow the roll to expand when it cooks.
- Lay on a large piece of buttered and liberally sugared foil.
- Roll up, again not too tight and seal the ends.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Once cooked, cool slightly (this will make it easier to cut), then unwrap carefully and slice.
- Serve with plenty of custard.
- Whisk the custard powder with 1 third of the milk.
- Bring the rest to the boil, then whisk in the custard powder and milk, whisking back to the boil. It will then thicken nicely.
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla and Golden Syrup, and taste.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket