This is the perfect cake for a cold wintry Sunday afternoon. It really is simple to prepare and cook, combining old favourites like dates and walnuts with a generous slug of rum. The result is a moist, rich cake.
- you will need: A greased and base lined 900g (2lb) loaf tin
- 150 g stoned dates, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 medium ripe bananas, lightly mashed with a fork
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 85 g butter
- 55 g dark brown soft sugar
- 170 g tube Carnation Condensed Milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 225 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 115 g walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3.
- Place the dates in a small bowl along with the lemon zest and juice, bicarbonate of soda and 2 tbsp boiling water. Stir well and leave to cool, then add the bananas and rum.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar and condensed milk until smooth. Gradually mix in the eggs, then the banana, rum and date mixture. S
- Sift over the flour and baking powder and then mix in. Reserve a small handful of the walnuts and stir the remainder into the cake mixture.
- Transfer the cake mix to the prepared tin, sprinkle over the reserved walnuts and bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- Leave in the tin to cool for about 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Delicious spread with butter.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket