The Brazilians love avocado, but not how you might think. They like to eat it with sugar or something sweet. While in Brazil, I had an avocado smoothie for breakfast, sweetened with sugar. It was really quite good. With that in mind, here is a dish using local fresh fish with stuffed bananas, garlic and honey avocado.
- 1 kg whole fish, scaled and pre gutted, fins also removed with a pair of sharp scissors
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs coriander
- 3 spring onions, whole
- 4 slices fresh lime or lemon
For the Avocado Bananas & Garlic
- 1 medium ripe banana, sliced into 1cm pieces
- 4 tbsp runny honey
- 3 cloves, finely chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp parsley, chopped
- juice of 3 large limes
- 2 large ripe avocados
- Prepare the bbq first before commencing the recipe. The golden rule is to make sure the bars and fish are well oiled and then sprinkled with a little salt and pepper. This will stop the fish from sticking.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone. Cut a small sliver off the bottom so that they sit upright. Score across, and lengthways don't cut all the way to the skin.
- Heat the honey, do not burn, then sauté the banana with a little salt until nicely coloured and slightly soft. Add the chopped garlic, a little parsley, some seasoning and a touch of lime juice.
- Stuff the coriander, rosemary and the spring onion into the side of the fish.
- Pop the fish on the bbq - it will take about 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Fill the halved avocados with the banana mixture and top with large flakes of the fish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little olive oil
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket