This cheesecake is best chilled for at least 8 hours, so it makes a great dessert to prepare ahead for a family gathering or dinner with friends.
- 500 g Bramley apples, (2-3 large)
- 100 g caster sugar, for the meringue
- 100 ml water
- 200 g Rich Tea biscuits, crushed
- 50 g butter, packed and chilled well
- 50 g melted chocolate, any will do
- 397 g Carnation Condensed Milk
- 500 g Mascarpone cheese
- 100 ml lemon juice, (about 3 large lemons)
For the Bramley apple and lime syrup topping
- 225 g granulated or caster sugar
- 250 ml cold water
- 150 g about 1 medium Bramley apple
- juice and finely grated zest of 3 large limes
- you will also need a 20cm (8") spring-form cake tin greased and base lined with baking parchment
- Peel and core the Bramley apples, place in a pan, add the sugar and water, cook until you have a thick pulp, and then cool; the thicker, the better.
- Mix the crushed biscuits with the melted chocolate and butter, then lightly press the mixture into the tin to make an even layer. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Use an electric whisk beat the condensed milk with the mascarpone cheese until the mixture is smooth. Add the lemon juice and combine thoroughly.
- Spread half the cream mixture onto the biscuit base.
- Spoon over about half of the apple stew but leave a 3cm gap at the edge.
- Top with the remaining cream mixture, covering the edges to seal in the apple stew, then chill for 4 hours, better really 8 hours if you can
- Once chilled, remove from the tin, place on a plate and spoon the rest of the stew into the centre of the cheesecake, carefully spread out again to 3cm of the edge, dust heavily with icing sugar and serve in wedges with the syrup and thick-set cream.
- Bramley apple and lime syrup topping
- Place the sugar, water and finely chopped apple into a saucepan and gently cook until you have a soft, thin puree.
- Blitz in a liquidiser for a good 5 minutes until you have a lovely velvety smooth puree/sauce.
- Pass through a fine sieve and cool.
- Once cooled, add the lime juice and zest and stir in well.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket