Love crumble! It's so easy to make. The big, big rule is never to add the sugar to the crumble until the butter is rubbed into the flour. The reason is that the sugar and butter will cream; that means to mix together, a bit like a sponge mixture, and the crumble will be heavy and more like pastry. So gently mix the sugar through with a spoon at the end. Then pour over the cooked apple, do not pack down, leave it as light and fluffy as possible.
- 4 large Bramley cooking apples
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- 175 g caster sugar
- 115 g cold salted butter
- 225 g plain flour
- 150 g caster sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C, Gas Mark 6.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut into large chunks.
- Heat a saucepan, then add the apples, lemon zest and juice and sugar.
- Cook for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
- Tip into a large baking dish aproximatley 20cm square.
- Place the cold butter and flour into a food processor and blitz until you have fine breadcrumbs.
- Tip into a bowl, stir through the sugar carefully.
- Spoon the crumble over the over the apples, do not pack down.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with custard, thick cream, clotted cream or vanilla ice cream.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket