- 2 kg British Bramley apples, (6 medium) peeled and cored
- 150 g Demerara sugar
- juice and zest of 2 large lemons
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 8 tbsp apricot jam
- 4 tbsp water
- Pre heat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Chop 4 of the apples into small pieces and place them into a saucepan.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and zest, bring to a boil and cook slowly until you have a chunky puree, but not too smooth, about half cooked.
- Brush the cooked flan base with beaten egg and pop it into the oven to crisp up the shell.
- Once the apple is cooked, cool slightly, then beat in the rest of the egg.
- Spoon into the warm pastry base.
- Slice the last 2 apples thinly and arrange them around the flan.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until well browned.
- Meanwhile, boil the apricot jam with 4 tbsp of water.
- Once the flan is out, brush quickly with the apricot glaze, then cool.
- Serve with lightly whipped double cream.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket