- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 75 g caster sugar
- 75 g plain soft flour, sieved
- 55 g melted, unsalted butter
- 2 pint double cream, lightly whipped
- 8 tbsp cherry jam
- 200 g nibbed almonds, lightly browned
- 20 fresh cherries
For the Brandy Snaps
- 125 g soft salted butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 115 g soft plain flour
- 115 g Golden syrup
- Pre heat the oven to 200C, Gas 6.
- Brush the inside of the tin with melted butter and dust with a little flour, tip out the excess.
- Whip the eggs and caster sugar at a medium speed until very thick and glossy.
- The mixture will hold its own weight when the whisk is lifted out of the mixture.
- Fold in the sieved flour carefully, then finally the butter.
- Pour into the prepared tin, place in the oven and cook for 15-18 minutes or until well risen and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool, then remove from the tin.
- Make 10 brandy snaps. See recipe below, then reserve.
- Slice the sponge into 3 even slices.
- Spread two evenly with jam and top with thick cream.
- Place one on the top of the other, then add the last layer, press down lightly.
- Coat the outside of the cake with whipped cream and coat in the nibbed almonds.
- Pipe a large rosette of cream in the centre of the cake.
- Then fill each brandy snap and place in a wheel design on top of the cake, the points touching in the centre.
- Place a fresh cherry in the end of each brandy snap, then a few extra cherries in the centre of the cake.
- Dust well with icing sugar and serve.
For the Brandy Snaps
- Slightly cream together the sugar and butter.
- Add the flour, syrup and mix to a firm paste.
- Roll into a long sausage the thickness of 10p piece, then wrap too tightly in cling film, making sure to wrap the cling film inside the roll.
- Chill well overnight is best.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas 4.
- Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Remove the cling film from the sausage, cut 1/2 cm slices, lay on the baking tray, and leave at least double the distance from the next slice.
- Bake in the preheated oven until well spread and golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly, then wrap around the moulds and leave to cool in a cone shape.
- Slide of and store in an airtight container.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket