You either love them, or you can't stand the sight of them. I think they are really tasty. Not only are they good for the real Christmas lunch, but they are an absolute must for Boxing Day bubble and squeak. This is one of only two vegetables that I recommend to be well cooked, and the other is potatoes. They can be prepared the day before, ready for cooking. You can add a little bacon or Pancetta to the mix if you want.
- 700 g sprouts, tightly closed and brilliant green, trimmed
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 tbsp green ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp whole coriander crushed
- 1 pinch chilli powder
- 150 g whole unblanched almonds, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the sprouts in plenty of boiling water, until soft in the centre, about 10 minutes.
- Cool under cold water and drain well. This can be done a few hours before.
- Next, heat the butter and oil together, add the onion, ginger, coriander, and chilli, and then cook for 5-6 minutes to soften slightly.
- Next, add the almonds and warm through; do not burn.
- There is only one way to warm them up when you come to serve, pop them in the microwave.
- Turn into the pan with the ginger and almonds and coat really well.
- Season with a little salt and pepper and serve.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket