You either love or hate them. I think they are really tasty. Not only are they good for the real Christmas lunch, but they are an absolute must for Boxing day bubble and squeak.
- 700 g sprouts, tightly closed and brilliant green, trimmed
- 3 small shallots, peeled and chopped finely
- 25 g ginger, finely chopped
- 3 freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- This is one of only two vegetables that I recommend to be well cooked the other is potatoes.
- Prepare the day before, ready for cooking.
- Cook the sprouts in plenty of boiling water, until soft in the centre, about 10 minutes.
- Cool under cold water, drain well.
- Next, heat the butter and oil together, add the seeds, ginger, shallots and nutmeg.
- Cook for a few minutes, slowly to soften and release their flavours and aromas.
- When you come to serve, there is only one way to warm them up, pop them in the microwave, turn them into the pan with the ginger and shallots and coat nicely.
- Season with a little salt and pepper and serve.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
Brussel Sprouts with Ginger & Mustard Seeds
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.