- 500 g cold mashed potato, no milk or butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, freshly milled
- 1 leek, trimmed, washed chopped and cooked in a little butter or oil
- about 10 medium sized Brussel Sprout, (or the equivalent well cooked cabbage or kale) chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- plain flour
- Mix the cold potato, brussel sprouts, leek and egg yolk well.
- Add salt and pepper; the mixture should be quite dry and firm.
- Mould into 4 cakes do not make them too thin, or it isn't easy to turn them over when cooking.
- Heat the veg oil in a frying pan, flour on both sides, carefully lay in the 4 bubbles, cook nice and slowly until golden, and then flip over with a fish slice or palette knife. Cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with a poached egg and pickled walnuts.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket