Easy cake, but tastes amazing!
- 175 g self raising flour
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 0.5 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 50 g butter
- 140 g caster sugar
- 200 g roasted or tinned pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 150 g sugar
- 100 water
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4. Line a 900g loaf tin (about 21.5cm x 11cm x 6cm deep) with greaseproof paper or loaf tin liner and grease well
- Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarb, mixed spice, nutmeg.
- Add the butter and rub in. Add the caster sugar, mix well.
- Mix the pumpkin, milk and beaten egg, add to the flour mixture and fold in but do not overwork.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, lined with baking parchment and bake for 35-40 minutes until well risen.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and cool slightly. Leave it in the tin.
- Place the sugar into a pan and cover with just enough water, bring to a boil and boil until the sugar turns to a light caramel.
- Add the 100mls water; it will splutter and boil, so stand back.
- Re boil until the caramel is dissolved.
- Cool slightly.
- Using a skewer, lightly prick the sponge, then pour over the syrup.
- Cool and lift out once cold, remove the paper and slice.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with thick cream.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket