This idea came from my mum, who has cooked a wickedly moist lemon cake for years. The secret to its success lies in soaking the cake all the way through with the sticky syrup. Then, finish it off with stylish icing.
- 225 g butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 397 g Carnation Condensed Milk
- 55 g ground almonds
- finely grated zest and juice of a lemon
- 225 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- juice of 3 large lemons
- 100 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 100 g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180C 350F Gas Mark 4.
- Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat together using an electric hand whisk until just smooth and pale.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- Make the syrup by warming together with the lemon juice and icing sugar.
- Whilst the cake is still warm, make holes all over it with a skewer, then gradually spoon over the syrup, allowing it to sink into the cake. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Make the icing: add the lemon juice gradually to the icing sugar until you have a thick pouring consistency.
- When the cake is cool, transfer to a serving plate and drizzle over the lemon icing.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket