For the Cowboy Caviar
- 400g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 400g can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 8 ripe fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 285g can cup corn sweetcorn
- 1 medium avocado, roughly chopped
- 1 orange pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 small red onions, finely diced
- 6 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice 3 limes
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- pinch chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- small fresh tortillas
- small masa tortillas
- sour cream
For the Drumsticks
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp paprika, I think smoked is best
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dry English mustard
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Place the beans, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, jalapeno, corn, avocado, bell pepper, onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss gently to coat. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Place the drumsticks on the chopping board.
- With a sharp knife, chop the knuckle off, keeping a nice clean bone.
- Place in a bowl and dust with the rub above.
- Heat a large frying pan, then add a little vegetable oil.
- Add the drumsticks and gently brown, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and then turn the heat right down and gently cook for 20 minutes until cooked so the meat will easily come away from the bone. It may take a little longer, but don’t rush; it’s worth the wait.
- Once cooked, serve with the caviar and tortillas.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket