Great winter vegetable, perfect with lamb. A simple dish that can be made the day before and gently warmed covered in a moderate oven or microwave.
- 350 g celeriac (500g unpeeled)
- 350 g potatoes
- 600 ml whipping cream
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, freshly milled
- Preheat the oven to 190C / Gas 5.
- Cut the peeled celeriac in quarters, and then slice into thin slices about a half centimetre thick.
- Slice the potatoes in the same fashion, then rinse well in cold water.
- Place both vegetables into a large saucepan cover with water and a couple of teaspoons of salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil, simmer for 2 minutes; this helps soften the vegetables and gives a much nicer result. Drain well.
- Carefully cover the bottom of a 24cm x 24cm x 5cm deep baking dish with pieces of celeriac, overlapping quite generously. Do the same with the potatoes.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Continue layering until all the celeriac and potato are used up.
- Bring the cream and the garlic to a boil and then pour over the celeriac and potato carefully.
- Press down with a potato masher.
- Cover with foil, put the dish on a tray, pop into a preheated oven, cook for about 30 minutes, and remove the foil. Continue to cook until well coloured and reduced, probably a further 20 minutes or so.
- You may want to press down with the masher over the period of cooking.
- When cooked, a skewer or knife will easily penetrate the creamy cake with very little resistance.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket