This has to be one of my all-time favourite comfort foods, a real mouth-watering savoury dish.
For the Pastry
- 450 g plain flour
- 130 g Stork margarine or butter
- 130 g lard
- 5 tbsp cold water
- pinch salt
For the filling
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 100 ml water
- 4 large white onions, chopped
- 300 g Lancashire cheese, chopped into small 0.5 cm cubes (Mrs Kirkhams)
- 200 g cooked potato, chopped into small 0.5 cm cubes
- freshly ground pepper
- you will need a 24cm pie tin
- 1 egg, whisked
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat, add the onions and 100ml of water and gently cook until all the water is evaporated. Remove from the pan and cool.
To make the pastry
- Place the flour, butter and lard into a food processor and combine. Add a little water and pulse together to form a soft dough.
- Remove from the processor and roll 2/3 of the pastry out to 0.25 cm thick. Line a 24 cm tin with the pastry, leaving a nice overlap. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Mix the cooled onions with the cheese, potato and pepper.
- Transfer the filling onto the pastry base.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and lay over the filling. Crimp the edges and trim the pastry. Use the pastry trimmings to make shapes to decorate the pie.
- Egg wash the top and make a small incision in the centre of the pie lid.
- Transfer to the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 180C for a further 10-15 minutes. Finally, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. Serve the pie with pickle or a salad.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket