Cherry tomatoes at this time of the year are probably the best variety of tomatoes to use. They are sweet and tasty. Any sweet tomato will do, especially now you can buy vine-ripened and super sweet. A good rule of thumb is the better they smell, the better they will taste.
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 300 g cherry tomatoes on the vine cut into quarters
- 60 g sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped very finely
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 8 fresh basil stalks
- 400 ml approx of strong vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp long grain rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp red wine or malt vinegar
- 10.5 tbsp caster sugar
- 100 ml single cream, optional
- 8 large leaves of fresh basil, shredded finely
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onions, basil stalks and garlic and cook over low heat to soften. Add both the tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Pour in the stock, rice, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Gently simmer for 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Liquidise and pass through a fine sieve.
- Swirl in a little single cream and shredded basil, re-season well with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil and serve with toasted garlic focaccia.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket