- 2 discs of sweet dessert pastry
- 800 g good quality black cherries, (2 x 400g cans )drained well
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, heaped
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 1 medium egg
- granulated sugar for sprinkling on top of the pie
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas 4.
- Line the loose-bottomed tart case with 1 disc of pastry, leaving a good overlap.
- Place the cherries into a saucepan and add a little of the strained juice, add the sugar and mix well. Heat and then thicken with a little of the cornflour and water, once thickened, cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour into the lined tart, moisten the edges with a little beaten egg. Top with the second disc, seal the edges well. Cut off any excess pastry and crimp decoratively.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Make 3 small incisions on the top of the pie and place them in the oven.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until the top of the pie is golden.
- Remove from the oven, and cool before eating. Cut into wedges and serve with vanilla ice cream
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket