- 200 g fat bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 tsp ground turmeric, level
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped the same size as the bacon
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 large potato peeled and chopped
- 12 cooked chestnuts, vac pac
- 10 g vegetable stock cube
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, roughly
- 1 tbsp very finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- Heat a large saucepan and add the bacon, cook for 2-3 minutes until the fat runs
- Add the parsnips and really brown well, then add the turmeric.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery and potatoes and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the stock cube and just enough water to cover, then bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the veg is cooked.
- Add the chestnuts and cook for 5 minutes to soften.
- Remove from the heat and gently break up the soup with a potato masher, so you have a chunky but not too smooth soup. Leave quite rough.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil and add the ginger cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook again for a couple of minutes, do not burn.
- When ready, spoon straight into the cold oil and stir well.
- Re-season with salt and pepper and serve with a crusty baguette.
- Spoon the oil over the soup.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket