Fresh sage adds a lovely herb flavour to this simple stuffing, but add some chestnuts, and you lift it to a whole different level. Chestnuts bring rich sweetness and invoke so many Christmas memories.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 500 g finely minced belly pork
- 200 g chopped chicken liver, (optional)
- 2 medium eggs
- 8 tbsp dried breadcrumbs or sage & onion stuffing mix
- 175 g whole peeled vac-packed chestnuts
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly milled black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Place into a bowl and cool slightly; add the pork mince (liver) egg and enough breadcrumbs or stuffing mix to stiffen up the mixture, but remember that they will continue to thicken as they reconstitute themselves so take care not to add too many.
- Finally, add the chopped chestnuts, sage, salt and pepper.
- Stuff the bird when required, or place it into a baking tray, or roll tightly in foil to form a sausage.
- Cook the tray or sausage for 35-40 minutes in a moderate oven 200C gas 6.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket