This is enough for a 5kg bird.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 450 g good quality sausage meat
- 4 tbsp dried breadcrumbs, roughly chopped
- 1 large egg
- 175 g whole chestnuts peeled
- 150 g semi dried cherries
- 1 large Bramley apple, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent. Add the thyme and sausage meat and stir well. Just break down the sausage meat but do not actually cook it through.
- Then cool slightly, add enough bread crumbs to stiffen up the mixture, but remember that they will continue to thicken as they reconstitute themselves so take care not to add too many.
- Add the egg and beat the whole mixture well.
- Finally, add the chestnuts, cherries, apple, salt and pepper and really mix well.
- Stuff the bird when required.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket