- 400 g chicken thighs, skinned and boned, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 250 g finely chopped leeks
- 300 mls cold water, approx.
- 3 tbsp butter, very soft
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 225 g short pastry, (2 x sheets)
- beaten egg for glazing
- Place the thighs, stock cubes, garlic and leeks into a saucepan and just cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and JUST falling apart with a little resistance.
- Once cooked. Strain the chicken/leek and skim any fat off. Next, measure the liquid that is left. You will need roughly 350mls.
- Mix the soft flour and butter together really well.
- Place the stock back into the pan and bring to the boil, once simmering whisk the flour and butter mixture in and re boil until you have a thick sauce.
- Place chicken/leek back into the thickened sauce, then season well and chill (If you can chill at this point all the better, best overnight to tighten up the mix)
- Preheat the oven to 190C gas 5.
- Gently roll the fresh tarragon into the 2 discs and chop.
- Line a plate with one disc of pastry, add the chilled filling and really pile up.
- Egg the edge and cover with the second disc of pastry, seal well and thumb up.
- Pinch the edge around to look nice, brush with beaten egg, the make a couple of slits in the middle.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes until browned and piping hot.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket