It's not hard to believe that this is one of Britain's favourite dishes. So, making it yourself has to make it even more special.
For the Rice
- 400 g basmati rice
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 medium egg white
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cubed into 4 cm pieces
For the Paste
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, very finely grated
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small red chilli, chopped very finely
- 3 tbsp tikka curry powder
- 2 onions, very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp any oil
- 400 g can tomatoes
- pinch sugar (optional)
- 10 g low-fat natural yoghurt
For The Chapatti
- 125 g wholemeal flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 60 ml water
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Wash the rice in a colander until the water runs clear. Soak in a bowl of warm water, which has been boiled and cooled for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat the chicken by mixing the cornflour and egg white, add the chicken and mix well.
- Place all the paste ingredients except the oil into a small food processor and blitz to a paste. Heat the oil in a non-stick wok over medium heat, then add the paste and cook for 10 minutes until it takes on a nice colour. Add the chicken, increase the heat to high and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Blitz the tomatoes and a pinch of sugar in a blender. Pour over the chicken, gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to thicken.
- Meanwhile, place the soaked rice into a saucepan and just cover it with cold water. Next, add the turmeric and cardamom pods. Bring to the boil and simmer.
- To make the chapattis, sift together the flour and salt in a bowl. Stir in the olive oil and 60ml of water, and then knead until firm and elastic. Divide into four balls and roll out as flat as possible.
- Heat a frying or griddle pan over medium-high heat. Cook the dough for about 1-2 minutes per side until puffed.
- Remove the curry from the heat, leave it to cool for 5 minutes, and then stir in the yoghurt. Serve in deep bowls with a few coriander leaves sprinkled over.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket