- 500 g potatoes, King Edward, Maris Piper, Red Rooster, Wilja, Marfona.
- groundnut, safflower or sunflower oil
- Peel and wash the potatoes well, then cut into fingers, say 1.5cm wide.
- Rewash and dry well in kitchen paper or towel.
- Heat the oil to 190C, leave for 10 minutes, then reduce to 175C. Never fill a fryer more than 2/3rds full.
- Plunge small amounts of chips into the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes to soften, but with no colour.
- Shake off the excess oil and cool on a tray, not piled up.
- Repeat until all are done. You can chill at this point.
- When ready to serve, turn up the oil to 185-90C.
- Cook in small batches until crisp and golden, drain well and season well with salt and vinegar if you like.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket