- 750 g (5 medium) Bramley apples
- juice and finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
- 1 large rectangular brioche loaf, slightly stale
- 200 g Rodda's clotted cream
- 397 g tin of thick (condensed milk) caramel sauce
- 4 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 100 g bitter chocolate, finely chopped
- Pre heat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Peel, core and cook the Bramley apples in the lemon juice until you have a very thick stew. Add brown sugar if you wish.
- Cut the brioche into 5 even slices horizontally.
- Spread the clotted cream and caramel over 4 brioche slices evenly, leaving the top crust clean.
- Sprinkle over the finely chopped chocolate.
- Next, layer up all 4 slices with just over half the Bramley apple stew, chill the rest.
- Stack up and place the crust on top.
- Then wrap tightly in foil, pressing down quite firmly, so you compact the slices well but don't go mad.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and press together well again.
- Wrap the whole package in clean foil, cool and chill well; this is best done overnight.
- The next day, remove from the fridge and remove the foil.
- Serve in thick slices with perhaps a little more clotted cream and more of the stewed apple.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket